Dental implants offer a wide variety of cosmetic and functional advantages, including increased bite strength, improved appearance, and superior durability. At our Albuquerque, NM, dental practice, Dr. James Slaman places and restores implants, providing patients with comprehensive care in one location. The benefits of dental implants are unmatched when compared to traditional teeth replacement options, as they restore health, function, and aesthetics to your smile.
Improved Oral Health
Dental implants offer many advantages. However, the most significant benefits are health-related, and include:
- Preservation of Jawbone: Dental implants act as prosthetic tooth roots, stimulating the nerves in the jawbone. This encourages new bone growth and prevents bone recession. Alternatively, traditional tooth replacement options such as dental crowns or bridges do not support jawbone structure. For this reason, patients who have been missing teeth for a long time have a “sunken-in” or concave appearance. Dental implants eliminate this effect.
- Protection of Existing Teeth: Before the invention of dental implants, a single tooth was replaced with a dental bridge. In order for a traditional bridge to be placed, your adjacent teeth must be reduced and reshaped in preparation for the restoration. This negatively affects your natural tooth structure and compromises your oral health. Dental implants offer a single-tooth solution for a single-tooth problem, keeping your healthy teeth intact.
- Prevention of Further Oral Health Issues: Missing teeth affect the force of your bite, which can result in more serious problems such as gum recession, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issues, or further tooth loss.
Superior Stability and Comfort
Dental implants fuse with your jawbone during a process called osseointegration. This happens during the healing period, when the jawbone fuses to the titanium post. Osseointegration results in optimal stability, and makes normal dental function possible. Once your new implant is restored, you can chew, eat, and speak just as you could with a natural tooth.
Convenience and Ease of Cleaning
Certain restorations, such as dentures or bridges, can require cumbersome hygiene routines. Dentures must be removed and soaked throughout the night. Dental bridges require special instruments or floss threaders for proper maintenance. Alternatively, restored dental implants are permanent, and can be brushed and flossed just like your natural teeth.
Dental implants offer a wide variety of cosmetic and functional advantages, including increased bite strength, improved appearance, and superior durability.
A Durable and Permanent Teeth Replacement Solution
Over the decades, dental implants have taken the place of bridges as the most dependable treatment for missing teeth. In fact, dental implants are widely praised as the most successful teeth replacement solution available on the market today. When properly cared for through routine checkups, cleanings, and home care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
While improved health, convenience, and durability are all vitally important, dental implants offer an array of cosmetic benefits as well. These include:
- A Complete Smile: Dental implants effectively fill in any gaps in your smile, improving your appearance in addition to restoring function.
- Increased Confidence: Many people who are missing teeth feel embarrassed or self-conscious. Dental implants can give you a much-needed boost in confidence so you can take on the world.
- Natural-Looking Appearance: Your restorations will be custom-made and color-matched to blend in with your smile. The high-quality materials are incredibly lifelike and indistinguishable from your own natural teeth.
- Enriched Quality of Life: With dental implants, you will not only look and feel your best, you will be able to enjoy life again without worry.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about dental implants, schedule a visit with Dr. Slaman. Call our office at (505) 881-7586 or contact us online today.