Inlays and Onlays: Conservative and Effective Restorative Treatment
Inlays and onlays can repair teeth damaged by large cavities that fillings alone cannot address. Dr. James Slaman uses CEREC® technology at our Albuquerque, NM, practice to place inlays and onlays in a single visit, saving you the time and money associated with booking multiple appointments. These custom-made restorations fit on the chewing surfaces of back teeth, providing an excellent alternative for treating decay that is too extensive for a filling but not severe enough to warrant a dental crown.
Inlays and Onlays: Indications for Treatment
Inlays and onlays are a restorative dentistry option crafted from high-quality porcelain and fit either “in” or “on” the surfaces of damaged teeth. Whenever possible, an inlay or onlay can be used to address the decay without compromising the overall integrity of the tooth.
CEREC Technology: Your Treatment Process
During an initial consultation, Dr. Slaman will assess your tooth and review x-rays to evaluate the extent of damage. After discussing your options with you, he can design a personalized treatment plan to reflect your specific needs.
At our practice, we value staying current with the latest technologies to provide our patients with cutting edge dental care. We are proud to offer CEREC same-day restorations, which are custom-made in our office for your convenience. When you receive an inlay or onlay at our practice, your treatment will take place in several steps:
- Anesthesia: To ensure you are comfortable throughout the procedure, local anesthesia will be administered to numb your teeth and gums.
- Removal of Decay: Damaged portions of your tooth will be carefully removed.
- Impressions: Using our innovative CEREC technology, digital impressions will be made of your teeth.
- Designing Your Restoration: Your digital impressions will be uploaded to our software, where Dr. Slaman can design your personalized final restoration.
- Fabrication: When the inlay or onlay has been digitally constructed, the image files will be sent to our in-office milling machine, which will craft your custom restoration in approximately one hour.
- Placement: After the restoration is fabricated, Dr. Slaman will place it over the tooth, making sure it fits properly with your bite.
- Bonding: Once you and Dr. Slaman are satisfied with the look and fit of your restoration, he will carefully bond it into place using dental cement.
- Adjustments: Any necessary adjustments will be made, and rough edges will be smoothed out.
We are proud to offer CEREC same-day restorations, which are custom-made in our office for your convenience.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Although inlays and onlays are most commonly used in the treatment of decay, they are also used in cases of trauma or to replace an unsuccessful dental filling. These custom restorations:
- Require less drilling than a traditional dental filling
- Are crafted from medical-grade porcelain that blends in with your natural enamel for an aesthetically-pleasing result
- Are durable, long-lasting, and resilient to fractures and chips
- Can typically be fabricated and placed in one day with the use of our CEREC milling machine
Schedule an Appointment with Us Today
To learn more about inlays and onlays, or to determine if you have tooth decay, schedule a consultation with Dr. Slaman. Call our office at (505) 226-9364 or contact us online.